Let’s Crush Your 2021 Weight Goals!
Although you definitely don’t need it to be the New Year to make health and nutrition goals, it is a great time to really sit down and decide what you want out of the next 12 months. We at The Angry Nutrition Guy want you to crush your 2021 weight goals! A lot of people are deciding what “diet” to try out to finally lose weight this year (Read our blog about what is the worst diet out there!). But before making those resolutions and goals, take a look at our tips for goal setting so you can set yourself up for a productive and healthy year!
1. Make sure you use the SMART goal system
If you aren’t familiar with SMART goals, SMART is an acronym for SPECIFIC, MEASURABLE, ATTAINABLE, REALISTIC, and TIME-BOUND. It is so important to take the time to write your goals out using this system to keep yourself on track. Let’s quickly go through each step.
- Specific – get detailed about your goal. Don’t just say you want to lose weight or eat healthy this year. Give yourself a concrete goal. I want to lose 40 pounds this year. I want to stop eating a whole pizza every Saturday.
- Measurable – this goes along with specific. Make sure there is some way you can tell if you actually achieved your goal. Instead of saying “I want to lose my lower belly fat” you can make a goal of “I want to lose 4 inches off my waist.”
- Attainable and Realistic – these two go hand in hand. Sure you can have long-term reach goals but you don’t want all of your goals to be so big that you have no chance of reaching them anytime soon. That will get you discouraged when you are so far off from reaching them. And that can put you down a slippery slope of giving up all together.
- Time-bound – Give yourself a time limit for your goals. I want to lose 30 pounds by April 3rd for my wedding anniversary!
2. Make sure to write down your goals!
Write them down using the SMART system and display them so you can see them regularly. Review them and change them as needed. The act of just writing your goals down gives you more responsibility to act on them.
3. Create action steps that you will take to achieve your goals
If you want to lose 30 lbs by April, how are you going to achieve this? Hire a coach to help you? Stop eating out every night? Write down these action steps as well to make yourself more accountable.
4. Create smaller goals for you to achieve along the way
This will give you positive reinforcement to keep working toward your big goal. For example, to lose 30 pounds by April 3rd you can make a goal to lose 10 pounds by February 3rd.
Hope these few tips help you set some amazing goals for this coming year. If you think that having more accountability and hiring a coach may help you reach your ideal weight and body composition, feel free to contact us for a free consultation to discuss your goals and find out how we can help you crush 2021!